Friday, October 21, 2011

London

No, not the city. My new nephew!

After I got the call that Lindsay was going into labor, we literally got off the plane from Chicago when we landed in Louisville at 4:30, went straight to the Southwest ticket counter, and booked a flight for me right then for Baltimore (using skymiles!). I said goodbye to Ben, kept the bag I already had packed from Chicago, and barely made it on the 5:15 flight to Baltimore.

Meghan, a friend of Lindsay's, picked me up from the airport and took me to their house. Lindsay was beyond ready to leave, so after a sweet prayer from Reagan and getting the kids to bed, it was off to the hospital.

Cue the anxiety.

I sat in the backseat as Carl raced to the hospital and Lindsay gripped the seat tightly with each contraction. I felt so helpless, nothing I could do to help, so nervous for her, wondering how I would respond to the sight of blood since I'm usually easily queasy over that stuff, super excited at the experience I was about to have, eagerly awaiting meeting my new niece or nephew...

Once in the hospital room, I felt a little more relieved, but still anxious and wishing I could somehow help or encourage Lindsay or make it better...but for fear of being annoying or in the way or saying the wrong thing, for the most part I just sat quietly, prayed, and texted the family to keep them in the loop.

After a couple more hours of labor, trying but unable to get the epidural and so facing a natural childbirth, Lindsay was ready to have this baby! Her sister, mom, and close friend all arrived just in time to be there as well.

The next 15 minutes were so intense - excitement, anxiousness, joy - and finally, we met London Keller Kuhl, 9 lbs., 10 oz, 21.5 inches long! Brown hair; so much like mommy but so much like daddy too; absolutely perfect and adorable. I can't even describe how amazing Lindsay was, how brave, how strong...I was in total awe. I am so thankful that she asked me to be part of this experience - it was something I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment